Sunday, September 13, 2015

Hi All,

It was terrific seeing so many of you this Thursday. I hope I was able to answer any questions you have had, but please feel free to email me with additional questions as they arise throughout the year.
For those of you able to volunteer, I'll look forward to seeing you this week, unless you are still waiting for TB tests or fingerprint clearance. ( If you have done this during a previous year, it's still valid.) We are still looking for a Room Parent, and this is a job that can easily be shared by 2-3 people. There is a "techie" part ( making a roster and relaying school communications) and there is the party part ( organizing 3 class parties and 1 grade-level year-end party.) I'm a fan of low key parties, so this job does not need to be overwhelming!

One thing I forgot to mention on Thursday is my "code" regarding completed papers your child brings home.  If the paper is stamped, that means I've received it and your child has been given credit for submitting the work. Those papers are ones we look at together, and I expect the kids to ask questions if they're unsure of the answers, and then note the appropriate corrections. Papers that fall into this category are homework, and workbook pages that we complete in class. When I look at individual pages and correct them, you will find hand-written comments and scores. These are usually tests, quizzes, and projects, and are used to calculate your child's report card "grades" (along with my observations of informal in-class work.)

This week we will be completing Island of the Blue Dolphins. The kids have really enjoyed it, and it serves as a terrific warm up for our Social Studies chapter on California 's Native Americans.  They may take AR tests on the book. We are beginning a science unit on the Scientific Method, and continuing to work on personal narratives in writing,  The first math module will last about 2 more weeks, and for those who were asking, Miss Grable has posted a link to the homework answers. (It's located about 2-3 posts down on her blog.)

Have a great week,
Carroll Mayer

No comments: