Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hi All,

It was great to see all of you on Thursday night. I know my presentation was somewhat breathless, but it seems like there is so much to cover in such a short amount of time! Hopefully, everyone has a clearer picture of the class, its organization, and my expectations. If you volunteered to help in the class, please begin this week. In addition, if you find yourself unable to come, please notify me and/or arrange for a substitute. Danyiel Woodley and Wendy Rice both volunteered to be substitutes, so contact them if you need help.

As for homework, the spelling packet I am sending with 3rd graders this week is typical of what they will be doing for the balance of the year: practice book pages, alphabetizing and writing sentences for the 8 "challenge" words, and studying the list for a Friday test. Second graders should receive their first Red Hot Reader list this week. I am trying for Monday, but as I was gone for most of last week, I'm behind on copying, etc. As I explained at Back-to-School Night, the Red Hot Reader program is self-paced. When your 2nd grader is prepared to put all the words on their list in sentences orally, as well as read and spell them; they are responsible for notifying me that they are ready to be tested. In addition, while I am not yet prepared to send math facts flashcards home with either grade, that doesn't mean they can't be practiced. Encourage your child to test himself, or practice the facts orally in the car.

Finally, you will be receiving a permission slip for the SC County Fair this week. We are going on Wednesday, September 16th and I will need 4-5 drivers for the day. (They are limiting the amount of adults we can get in free to one for every four students.)

Looking forward to seeing many of you this week!
Carroll

No comments: