Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hi All,
Here is the link to some different types of pinhole projectors. They look like fun projects. I've also heard that slotted spoons, colanders, ets, can be used to aid in viewing. We will be making the traditional one with 2 pieces of stiff paper with a pinhole poked in foil taped to one. If your kid makes some other kind of viewer, he or she is welcome to bring it to school to share. I sent home a yellow note on Friday explaining the plans for our class. I am welcoming volunteers, from about 9:45 on, and I'm not sure how long we will be outside. Fog may make it pretty impossible in our area. Please review eye safety with your child, and I will again on Monday.

On another note, we had a great first few days!  The kids worked well together and made some interesting math discoveries using Jo Boaler's WIM. I will not be sending any structured homework forms out next week, but kids should be reading every day after school. Reading to and with family members is fine, as well as independent reading. I don't have a specific time limit, however the more you read, the better you are at reading. Kids also build a huge bank of knowledge from reading!

Most parents have returned the forms sent home Wednesday, but if you haven't, please do so on Monday. The yellow Emergency cards are the most crucial!

Have a great week!

Carroll Mayer

No comments: