Monday, May 21, 2018

Hi All,


Phew!  What a week!!  I enjoyed seeing all of you on Thursday; Open House is always a fun and festive celebration of the year's learning.

Thanks again for my Hideout birthday gift card. I had a great time using it with a good friend!

While I am have most of the permission slips, I think I am still a bit short on drivers for our End of the Year Party.  As I don't know car capacity, I have assigned 3 kids to a car unless notified otherwise.


  1. Carole-Anne-3
  2. Julie C.-3
  3. Liz R.-5
  4. Sean P.-3
  5. Phil G.-3
  6. Tina H.-3
  7. Aga V.-7
  8. Chris K.-3
*Please let me know if you can take more than 3 kids. 


This week, the kids have one more district-mandated test: the ELA MAP test.  Next week we will have a small math test. Kids should know how/when to use multiplication and division to solve story problems.

We are also working on our final project; the Famous Artist Wax Museum. The kids have all selected artists (many of them pop musicians).  They are researching and writing a short first person statement about the life of the artist. Kids will bring it home to memorize as they complete the work this week, and the Wax Museum will be held in the Cafeteria on Thursday, May 31st in the morning (9:15-10:20). Parents are welcome to stop in and listen to the kids. The homework component of this project is:

  1. Memorize the speech.
  2. Put together a "dress-up" style costume.
We are also reading our final novel, Esperanza Rising.  If your child is absent, they should read 10-20 pages of the novel, or listen to the audiobook linked on Mr. McMillan's blog. You may also email me about the pages read. In Social Studies, the class is working on a hyperdoc about California's "Path to Statehood." 

Have a great week!

Carroll Mayer





No comments: